Friday, September 21, 2007

Davidek Dayafter


"Me" sitting on a blue cube, in Second Life. It reminds me of Mulholland Drive, the blue cube. The blue keys. the singer with the blue hair. (Note to self: watch that movie again soon).

"In the future, we will all have special names."
-- Dr. Brian O'Blivion, 1983 (Videodrome)

Davidek Dayafter, that's my "special name" I suppose. It is the nom du plume of mon avatar in Second Life. That's just one thing too many. Not buddhist at all, but I'm not a Buddhist, so here we go... I'm in the Cleveland Public Library space. Hey, it's Friday night, 10:47 p.m. I'm all alone at the library gallery. Hey, those are my photos!

It has always creeped me out to have an avatar. I had an avatar circa 1996 in project Wow! from CompuServe, and I've had avatar's in that roll playing networking online games like Black-n-White or Black & White, it was just all right. But I have always thought of that quote, from David Cronenberg's Videodrome, from Doctor Brian Oblivion, above. That was 1983. The future is now.

No comments: